Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What The Heck Is An Epiphany Anyway?

 
My good friend sent me a short video the other day that got me thinking....

It's an interview with the actor Dustin Hoffman talking about his experiences trying to become a woman for the movie "Tootsie".  Through his research into what it takes to transform himself from a man to an actually believable woman he had an epiphany, and it was very moving to see how that insight affected him.  Watch it, it's pretty short....


 


I can't remember the last time I had an epiphany, or an "aha moment" as Oprah Winfrey calls it..

 I wanted to understand what having an epiphany actually meant  so I looked up the dictionary definition of it and this is what came up:  "A sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience."

I guess it's about finding the real truth of life in a deep down, spiritual way.  Why we are the way we are in every aspect of life.  And when we have that moment of realization we can act on it with understanding and sympathy and tolerance!  What a great thing!

So with Dustin's epiphany, he came to realize he couldn't become the woman he wanted to portray for the movie.  He wanted to become what we've been brainwashed to believe is the "ideal" woman, a woman he would be attracted to if he could meet her in reality.  And when he found out no amount of makeup wizardry would ever make him that woman he started to realize, this is a woman's plight in life!  You could see that he really understood what we as women struggle with everyday of our lives, and for a man to finally get it and gain understanding from it.....  boy that's priceless!

 
Well, I need to strive to have more "aha moments" in my life like Dustin's.  It makes you a better person, a person who appreciates the things you don't understand or even want to understand.  I think we could all benefit from that!




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment